- Ph.D, Southern Illinois University, 2013
- MA, Southern Illinois University, 2010
- BA, Quy Nhon University, 2001
- UNK Faculty member: 2013- current
- Executive manager of E-center for Teacher Professional Development: 2009- 2013
- High school teacher: 2001 - 2008
- Featured on UNK New Frontiers: 2022
- UNK Online Faculty Research Fellowship: 2022
- Outstanding Innovation in Digital Teaching Award: 2022
- Joan Lewis Gifted Professorship: 2018
- Featured on UNK New Frontiers: 2016
- UNK College of Education Research/Scholarship Award: 2015
- Improving Teacher Quality Grant (2017-2018) by Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Post Secondary Education: Co-Investigator.
- Improving Teacher Quality Grant (2016-2017) by Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Post Secondary Education: Co-Investigator.
- Improving Teacher Quality Grant (2015-2016) by Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Post Secondary Education: Co-Investigator.
- Summer Grant (2013- 2014) by the U.S. Embassy to Vietnam to establish a MOOC-oriented program "Knowledge Bridge": Primary Investigator
- Civil Society Grant (2011- 2012) to establish an E-center for Teachers' Professional Development: Primary Investigator
- Fulbright Award (2008- 2010)
Educational Technology- Enhanced Learning
- Vu, L., Thibeault, T & Vu, P. (2021). Adopting Speech Recognition in EFL/ESL Contexts: Are We There Yet?. Journal of Foreign Language Education and Technology, 6(1).
- Wolf, S. & Vu, P. (2020). Incorporating Game-Based Learning with Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” to Maximize Students’ Achievement and Engagement. The Wisconsin English Journal, 61(1). https://wisconsinenglishjournal.org/2020/03/21/wolf-vu/
- Spreen, A. & Vu, P. (2020). Exploring the Potential of Game-Based Learning in History Teaching. Journal of Social Studies and History Education, 2(1). https://uh.edu/education/research/jsshe/current/
- Vu, P., Fredrickson, S. & Gaskill, M. (2019). One-To-One initiative implementation from insiders’ perspectives. Tech Trends, 63(1). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11528-018-0359-5
- Kritzer, J. & Vu, P. (2019). Integrating Open Education Resources in Teacher Education Classes. International Journal of Online Graduate Education, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3522430
- Vu, P. & Feinstein, S. (2017). An exploratory multiple case study about using game-based learning in STEM classrooms. International Journal of Research in Education and Science (IJRES), 3(2), 582-588. DOI: 10.21890/ijres.328087
- Vu, P. (2015). What factors affect teachers using iPads in their classrooms? Issues and Trends in Educational Technology. 3(1).
- Vu, P., Crow, S., & Fredrickson, S. (2014). Using games in online education: Is it a winning strategy? Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration. 17(8).
- Vu, P., & Fadde, P. (2014). Ring of engagement: A model for MOOC enrollment. Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Emerging Pedagogies. 2(3), 240-247.
- Vu, P., Cao, V., Vu, L., & Capero, J. (2014). Factors driving learner success in online professional development. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 15 (3).
- Fredrickson, S., Vu, P., & Crow, S. (2014). Availability and use of digital technologies in P-12 classrooms of selected countries. Issues and Trends in Educational Technology. 2(1).
- Vu, P., McIntyre, J ., & Cepero, J. (2014). Teachers' Use of the iPad in Classrooms and Their Attitudes toward Using It. Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Emerging Pedagogies. 2(2), 58-74.
- Vu, P., & Fadde, P. (2014). A snapshot of technology integration training in teacher education programs. International Journal of Psychology: A Biopsychosocial Approach. 14, 139-150.
- Vu, P., & Vu, L. (2013). Videotape and reflection -based feedback to student teachers: A case study. Critical Issues in Teacher Education. 20, 5-13.
- Howard, J., Vu, P., & Vu, L. (2012). How do undergraduate students use their iPads? Journal of Technology Integration in the Classroom. 4(3), 5- 12.
- Fisher, C., Vu, P., & Lai, P. (2022). Faculty course evaluations and class size. Active Learning in Higher Education, 14697874221126739.
- Vu, P., & Fisher, C. (2021). Does Virtual Field Experience Deliver? An Examination into Virtual Field Experience during the Pandemic and Its Implications for Teacher Education Programs. Open Praxis, 13(1), 117-125.
- Harshbarger, D & Vu, P. (2021). Virtual Learning During a Pandemic: Using Technology to Provide and Launch Interactive and Experiential Learning. International Journal of Technologies in Higher Education, 17(3), 7-16.
- Bice, M., Hollman, A., Vail, D & Vu, P. (2020). Going Remote: Faculty Educational Initiatives on Building Community During COVID-19 Through Online Teaching. International Journal of Technologies in Higher Education, 17(2), 97-103.
- Lai, P., Vu, P., Wojcik, B.,& Alavi, S. (2020). Online Course Evaluations in the Digital Age. Journal of Applied Educational and Policy Research. 5(1). https://journals.uncc.edu/jaepr/article/view/975
- Ghazi-Saidi, L., Criffield, A., Kracl, C. L., McKelvey, M., Obasi, S. N., & Vu, P. (2020). Moving from face-to-face to remote instruction in a higher education institution during a pandemic: Multiple case studies. International Journal of Technology in Education and Science (IJTES), 4(4), 370-383.
- Vu, P., Adkins, M. & Henderson, S. (2020). Aware, But Don't Really Care: Students' Perspective on Privacy and Data Collection in Online Courses. The Journal of Flexible, Open and Distance Learning, 23(2). http://www.jofdl.nz/index.php/JOFDL/article/view/350
- Mollenkopf, D., Vu, P., Crow, S., & Black, C. (2017). Does online learning deliver? A comparison of student teacher outcomes from candidates in face-to-face and online program pathways. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 20(1).
- Vu, P., Meyer, R.,& Capero, J. (2016). Models of Administration for Online Learning Programs in the U.S. Higher Education Institutions. Journal of Applied Educational and Policy Research. 2(1).
- Vu, P., Fredrickson, S., & Meyer, R. (2016). Help at 3:00 AM! Providing 24/7 Timely Support to Online Students via a Virtual Assistant. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration. 19(1).
- Meyer, R., Gaskill, M., & Vu, P. (2015). Rating User Interface and Universal Instructional Design in MOOC Course Design. International Journal of Technologies in Higher Education, 12(1-2), 62-74
- Vu, P., & Fadde, P. (2013). When to Talk, When to Chat: Student Interactions in Live Virtual Classrooms. Journal of Interactive Online Learning. 12(2), 41-52.
- Vu, P., & Fadde, P. (2012). Traits of effective instructors in an online setting. Bulletin of IEEE Technical Committee on Learning Technology. 14(4), 50-53.
Teaching and Learning Action Research Projects with Graduate Students
- Dobesh, B., & Vu, P. (2023). Detecting a Possible Correlation between Hands-On Experimentation and Scientific Data Analysis in 8th Grade Students. Middle Grades Review, 9(1). https://scholarworks.uvm.edu/mgreview/vol9/iss1/4
- Waller. J.,& Vu, P. (2023). Promoting Fourth Grade Students’ Learning Engagement and Math Performances through Using Ability Grouping Rotations Technique. Journal of Teacher Action Research. 10(1). Retrieved from https://teacheractionresearch.com/index.php/JTAR/issue/view/3
- Walker, K., & Vu, P. (2023). Structured Student Conversations and their Impact. The Canadian Journal of Action Research, 23(1), 43-67.
- Bennett, E., Vu, P., & Vu, L. (2022). Effects of structured writing strategies in the high school history classroom. Social Studies Research and Practice.
Collaborative/Interdisciplinary (ESL, Gifted Education, STEM)
- Eckerson, J. ., Jacobs, C. ., Ghazi Saidi, L. ., Mollenkopf, D. ., & Vu, P. (2022). Turning the Tables: Using Non-English Conversation Tables to Create Connections for International Students, Campus, and Community . Student Success, 13(3), 29-36. https://doi.org/10.5204/ssj.2445
- Cahill, C., Nelson, R., Strawhecker, J., & Vu, P. (2022). School Administrators’ Perceptions of Electronic Portfolios and the Hiring of K-12 Teachers. International Journal of ePortfolio, 1(12).
- Nelson, R. M., Tran, C., Reichenberg, R. E., & Vu, P. (2022). An evaluation of quality of life for former gifted program participants in Vietnam. Gifted and Talented International, 1-12.
- Saidi, L. G., & Vu, P. (2021). Students’ perspective on higher educators: interpersonal relationship matters. SN Social Sciences, 1(7), 1-13.
- Vu, P., Harshbarger, D., Crow, S., & Henderson, S. (2019). Why STEM? Factors that influence gifted students’ choice of college majors. International Journal of Technology in Education and Science (IJTES), 3(2), 63-71.
- Matyo-Cepero, J., Vu, P., Meyer, R., McCarty, W. & Irwin, B. (2019). Gifted students in the heartland: Who they are and why it matters. TalentEd, 31, 1–14.
- Vu, P., & Vu, L. (2012). Teaching English as a foreign language major to gifted students. The Southeast Asian Journal of English Language Studies.18(2), 57- 66.
- Vu, P., & Vu, L. (2012). Techniques to bring humor and create a pleasant learning environment in ESL adult classroom. Journal of Research and Practice for Adult Literacy, Secondary, and Basic Education, 1(1), 50-53.
- Vu, P. (2011). Gifted students' profiles and their attitudes toward a gifted program: The case of Vietnam. Gifted and Talented International, 26(1), 81-87.
- Vu, P; Meyer, R& Taubenheim, L. (2020). Best Practice to Teach Kindergarteners Using Remote Learning Strategies in Ferdig, R.E., Baumgartner, E., Hartshorne, R., Kaplan-Rakowski, R. & Mouza, C. (2020). Teaching, Technology, and Teacher Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Stories from the Field. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved June 21, 2020 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/216903/.
- Koch, B & Vu, P (2020). Virtual Field Experience and Mock Interview Opportunities for Preservice Special Education and Secondary Teachers in Ferdig, R.E., Baumgartner, E., Hartshorne, R., Kaplan-Rakowski, R. & Mouza, C. (2020). Teaching, Technology, and Teacher Education during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Stories from the Field. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved June 21, 2020 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/216903/.
- Vu, P & Fye, M. (2019). Achievement Unlocked? Understanding Perceptions, Challenges, and Implications of GBL in Classrooms In F. Matthew (2019). Global Perspectives on Gameful and Playful Teaching and Learning (pp. 276-290). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Vu, P., Knoell, C., Nebesniak, A & Strawhecker, J. (2016). Gamified – blended learning professional development: A descriptive case study In Martin, C., & Polly, D. (2016). Handbook of Research on Teacher Education and Professional Development (pp. 385-394). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Vu, P., & Gaskill, M. (2015). Can pre-service teachers create digital game-based activities without coding knowledge? In Russell, D., & Laffey, J. M. (2015). Handbook of Research on Gaming Trends in P-12 Education (pp. 1-664). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-9629-7
- Vu, P., Fredrickson, S. , Hoehner, P. , & Ziebarth-Bovill, J. (2015). An examination of Pre-service teachers' attitudes towards game-based learning. In Russell, D., & Laffey, J. M. (2015). Handbook of Research on Gaming Trends in P-12 Education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-9629-7
- Vu, P., Vu, L., Cao, V., & Fadde, P. (2014). An Exploratory Study in an Emerging approach to E-learning: MOOC. In M. Limbu & B. Gurung (Eds.), Emerging pedagogy in the networked knowledge society: Practice integrating social media and globalization (162-174). IGI Global.
- Fadde, P., & Vu, P. (2014). Blended Online Learning: Misconceptions, Benefits, and Challenges. In P. Lowenthal., C. S. York & J. Richardson (Eds.), Online Learning: Common Misconceptions, Benefits, and Challenges. Nova Science Publisher.
- Cadero-Smith, L. (2020). Teacher professional development challenges faced by rural superintendents. I. Sahin & P. Vu (Eds.). ISTES Organization.
- Bouchrika, I., Harrati, N., & Vu, P. (2018). Learner experience and usability in online education. IGI International.
- Vu, P., Fredrickson, S., & Moore C. (2017). Handbook of research on innovative pedagogies and technologies for online learning in higher education (Ed.). IGI International.